Hacking the Scavenger Hunt with QR Codes
By James Sturtevant
As I read through the 20 page assignment on the Industrial Revolution, I kept thinking to myself...Wow, this is boring! If I was feeling that burn; imagine what my students were going to feel.
I decided it was time to break out of the box. In this case, literally break out of the box of the four walls of my classroom.
I sent my students on a school-wide scavenger hunt utilizing QR-codes, a hint sheet, and provocative prompts from the reading. This episode will detail this EPIC lesson plan from the vantage point of two of my awesome students. I will also offer advice on how you can create a scavenger hunt at your school.
First, secure a QR code reader. I love this simple, but powerful app i-nigma.
And finally, concoct hiding places around the school for your codes. Create a HINT SHEET to help students search. Below, is my list. I’ll bet you could apply many of my hiding places to your building!
- Finding this one could take you to another level
- On the back of a warning
- Where Sturtevant gets his Old Skool messages
- These kids looked great in 88
- Behind something black and gray
- If you find this one…YOU’RE REALLY ON A ROLL!
- If you don’t find this code, your prospects of winning will be extinguished
- Open this door and find an awesome relationship
- If you get to the bottom of where this code is placed…I’ll be shocked
- Search this virtual tool we use daily
- On the back of the “No Firearms” warning on the front door
- My mailbox in the main office
- The Class of 1988 composite
- On the backside of a trashcan in the hallway
- On the the large paper rolls in the supply room
- On an obscure fire extinguisher
- On the backside of my wife’s office door
- On the bottom of the defibrillator in the basement
- On the “About” section of Google Classroom
Your next lesson looks a bit dry.
Incorporate unit concepts into a scavenger hunt utilizing your entire building.
What You Can Do Tomorrow
- Download the i-nigma QR reader
- Create QR codes on Classroom Tools
- Determine hiding places for codes around the building
- Craft a Hint Sheet
Morph a dull lesson into challenging your students to hustle around the building formulating wonderful responses to the day’s essential questions.
This post first appeared at JamesAlanSturtevant.com.